Exterior Insulation & Finishing System (EIFS)
Exterior insulation and finishing system (EIFS) is a general class of non-load bearing building cladding systems that provides exterior walls with an insulated, water-resistant, finished surface in an integrated composite material system. It consists of a weather resistant barrier, adhesively or mechanically attached insulation boards, base coat layer reinforced with fiberglass mesh and acrylic finish coat.
Advantages of EIFS
- Resistance to Moisture - two layers of defense: base coat/mesh/finish coat and weather resistant barrier.
- Flexible - much more flexible than traditional stucco and, therefore, better at preventing cracks from occurring.
- Seamless - minimizing breaks in the system due to monolithic application technique.
- Lightweight - much more lighter than traditional stucco or many other exterior systems.
- High R-Value - EIFS insulation boards serve as a secondary insulation. It significantly reduces the amount of energy that escapes the building .
- Appearance - unlimited variety of colours and finish textures. Ability to be shaped and cut into different designs.